David W. Halsell is a transmedia artist whose work has investigated a range of ideas including perceptual consciousness, the ecology of mind, personal and social relationships with the natural world, and the constructs of time. Halsell explores these ideas through the use of video, sound, objects, and installation- developing experiences that underscore our awareness and connectedness of the self in and to our environments.
David received his MFA from Carnegie Mellon University, and a BFA in Sculpture from the University of Washington, graduating cum laude and as Mary Gates Scholar, and was a Research Associate at the Center for Digital Arts and Experimental Media (DXARTS) at the University of Washington.
Halsell’s works have been exhibited and performed at the Madrid Abierto 2007, Digital Art Weeks at ETH Zürich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), the Spark Festival of Electronic Music and Art at the University of Minnesota, the Zeppelin Sound Projects Festival at the Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano, and The Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival. His writings have been published in NY Arts magazine and the Spanish new media journal A Minima.
Exhibitions, Screenings & Performances
- Trinity, Ohrenhoch der Geräuschladen, Berlin, Germany
- The Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival, Hot Springs, AR
- The Astoria/LIC International Film Festival, Long Island City, NY
- The Columbia Gorge International Film Festival, Vancouver, WA
- The Landlocked Film Festival, Iowa City, Iowa
- IMAGINING NOW: Contemporary Experimental Cinema, Festival Internacional del Nuevo Cine Latinoamericano, Havana, Cuba
- No Defects, Ohrenhoch der Geräuschladen, Berlin, Germany
- In The Making: 250 Years/250 Artists, Fe Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- The Georgetown Super 8 Film Festival, Seattle WA
- Digital Art Weeks 2006, ETH Zürich (Swiss Federal Institute of Technology), Zürich, Switzerland
- Resurgency, Summer Solo Series, Fe Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- Showing Signs of Life, Future Tenant Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- Spark Festival of Electronic Music and Art, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Control Acoustics, Zeppelin 2005 Sound Projects Festival, Centre de Cultura Contemporània de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
- Vaguely Positive, Future Tenant Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- inkJet, Artist Image Resource, Pittsburgh, PA
- BFA Thesis Show, Jacob Lawrence Gallery, Seattle, WA
- Redmond Outdoor Sculpture Exhibit, Redmond, WA
- Spheres: The 2003 UW Summer Arts Festival, Seattle, WA
- Finding Patterns In Chaos, Mohala Arts Gallery, Seattle, WA
- Surveillance, Richard Hugo House, Seattle, WA
- NewMusicWest Festival, Vancouver, B.C., Canada
- MFA, Carnegie Mellon University, 2007
- BFA, University of Washington, 2004, Sculpture (cum laude)
- Hannah Levin, “Gotta Get Out,” City Arts, November 29, 2011
- Sarah Mogin, “Finding Art on Campus,” The Tartan, April 16, 2007
- Carol Vogel, “I Like Ur Art: Saatchi Creates an Online Hangout for Artists,” The New York Times, December 18, 2006
- Kurt Shaw, “Lawrenceville Crawl,” Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, July 13, 2006, Ticket: 15.
- “Autopoiesis: Science and Systems in Technological Art,” A Minima, no.13, 2005, 132-7.
- “Autopoiesis,” NY Arts, Vol.11, no. 3/4, 2006, 77.
- Honorable Mention, SpokAnarchy!, 59th Columbus International Film + Video Festival